Monday, October 14, 2013

The Lady Gigi

I'm sure you've noticed it has been almost three months since I posted here.  I know that's unusual - words usually pour out of me, at the same fast pace I live my a-list life.  The last few months have been filled with all the things a move brings - and I will catch y'all up on that.  But, today I must write about something so much more important than my comings and goings - I write about my eldest sibling.  I know that I usually post about all of my siblings, with my signature wit and a bit of mockery.  Well, I could never write about Gigi because she defied my mocking style.  Her dignity was an example even to me.

As I understand it, my mum got an email about the cats needing a home in mid-summer 2010.  They were all kittens, and people quickly adopted them...except the last on the list.  Saving the best for last, my Gigi was at the very end.  She was 15, declawed (amputated), and abandoned.  Why?  I can't imagine.  We brought her home.  For almost three and a half years, she filled our home with her lovely arias, and offered affection to anyone who came within her field of vision.  She sought out the sunlight, and basked in its generous warmth.  She deserved it.

She let go of the past life, the one that abandoned her in the South LA shelter.  She embraced her new family, and brought joy to every day of the last few years.

I hope you will all think of Gigi when you consider adopting a pet - please think about the wisdom a senior cat or dog can offer you.



Gigi - our time together wasn't long enough - but then, forever wouldn't have been either.  You always reminded us that humans who make poor choices don't define us.  You exemplified dignity, and you always had a lovely yowl when I was feeling less than amazing (not that I EVER feel less than amazing.  Let's face it.  I was born that way).  You leave me almost speechless, except to say...

Thank you.


No comments: